Are you the parent of a child born overseas?

Parents of children adopted internationally may have some worries about their child’s citizen status.  Now is as good a time as ever to be sure that your child/adult adoptee’s paperwork is in order, including the following:

  • Final Adoption Decree
  • Birth Certificate
  • Current Passport
  • Naturalization/Citizenship Papers
  • Social Security Card with the Updated Citizenship Status (if obtained prior to obtaining citizenship).

The Department of State, Inter-country Adoption Site has information regarding acquiring U.S. citizenship, the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, and information regarding adoptees that are not qualified under this Act (for adoptions finalized prior to 2000).


Children adopted prior to February 27, 2001 did NOT automatically acquire U.S. citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act.  In recent years, many adoptees have found that although they were legally adopted and have been U.S. residents for most of their lives, they do not hold U.S. citizenship.  Many discover this as young adults when registering to vote, or applying for school scholarships, jobs, a U.S. passport, or unfortunately, when getting into trouble with the law and possibly facing deportation to a country in which they are unfamiliar.  The reasons vary, but the fact remains that they are considered foreign-born, non-citizens.


Click here for more information.