In the United States every 9 seconds a woman is beaten by someone she knows. Domestic Violence occurs within all religious, ethnic, racial, economic, and age groups. (The American Institute on Domestic Violence)
If someone is hurting you or someone you love, call Catholic Charities. We can help.
Contact us at 866-682-2166.
- State of New Jersey Domestic Violence Resources
- Directory of Resources by County
- NJ Domestic Violence Hotlines
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- LoveisRespect.org: Relationship Education
- Danger Assessment – Online tool to assess level of danger in a violent relationship
- The New Jersey Coalition to End Domestic Violence
- 2013 Domestic Violence Statistics Report from the State of NJ Police
- NJ Attorney General’s Office Resources for Victims of Crime
- Rutgers Law Domestic Violence Project
- Camden Center for Law and Social Justice Domestic Violence Legal Services
- New Jersey Law Protections Against Domestic Violence
- Guide to Legal Rights of Victims of Domestic Violence
- Handbook of Answers to Legal Questions for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Catholic Charities Domestic Violence Handbook for Parishes
The U.S. Bishops’ Statement on Domestic Violence
A Prayer for Those Experiencing Abuse: Psalm 55
(excerpt from the Bishops’ document)
Listen, God, to my prayer;
do not hide from my pleading;
hear me and give answer.
If an enemy had reviled me,
that I could bear;
If my foe had viewed me with contempt,
from that I could hide.
But it was you, my other self,
my comrade and friend,
You, whose company I enjoyed,
at whose side I walked
in procession in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,
and the Lord will save me.
At dusk, dawn, and noon
I will grieve and complain,
and my prayer will be heard.
(Ps 55:2-3, 13-15, 17-18)